Feb 1, 2007

Sekisui

Sekisui was the location of my first sushi experience and as with love, there is nothing like the first time. I had been resistant to the concept of raw fish, especially after ordering a rare tuna once that I could barely stomach. But some friends talked me into trying sushi and they served as expert guides. I left that first dinner with what can be only termed a brain buzz. I felt more alert, more alive, more awake, even after a couple cups of sake. I never equaled that experience again but there was something very powerful there. What was even more amazing was that I loved it and had become an absolute sushi addict. Since then, I have tried sushi in some wonderful places like Berlin, Germany and some adequate places like sushi fast food in Webster Groves but nothing is any better than Seksui.
When I say sushi, I mean the real deal, not just he rolls. Though I do like a number of the rolls that they offer at Sekisui including the St. Louis roll with crab and eel, the Philly roll with crab and avocado, and their Cardinal roll which i ncludes smoked salmon and roe. But my favorite is the sushi sampler platter. I also learned how much I like to order sushimi, which is sushi without the rice. Really the rice is just there to help you fill up since sushi is so expensive. If I were fabulously rich, I would skip the rice entirely. The tuna is often the best you will find anywhere, as is the salmon. My favorite is the smoked eel which is sometimes so melt in your mouth good that you think you have just eaten chocolate.

As a side, the best thing is the variety of vegetable tempura. The tempura has just the right crispiness and sweet potato is the best. I have enjoyed nearly everything I have tried off the menu but at the end of the day, I am there for one thing, sushi. So what are you waiting for, falling in love with sushi is almost like falling in love.

No comments: