Mar 25, 2014

Where I have eaten lately

I tried Ciao, at 4534 Gravois recently. This space had once been another restaurant and there are only minor changes. There are really funky, cool long tables that would be great for appetizers and drinks but less than ideal for eating dinner. I had the Ciao signature cocktail which was a little time citrusy for my taste and a little light on the booze. We started with a cheese platter which was nice but not spectacular. The pasta however was quite excellent, the linguini primavera is cooked with whipped cream and it is very special. I enjoyed it a lot.The tramisu dessert was also top notch.

On the way to a show at the Fox, we found very limited options if you want to get down there early and park. So we settled on Dooley's Beef N Brew House. I will give them kudos for the home made chips. I had the ribeye sandwich and it was pretty decent. The wine by the glass was not bad for a brewhouse but they were out of nearly early whisky I tried to order. I ended up with a shot of Jameson for dessert but I really wanted Scotch.

On the Mexican front, we tried Mariachis II at the recommendation of many who said they have the best margaritas. I disagree as again I found them to heavy on the citrus and too light on the tequila. It was suppose to be a "Cadillac" version but I couldn't detect any Cointreau or Grand Marnier. The food was ok but nothing special. It is located at 4536 Gravois.

And finally, I continue to be a big fan of the Mediterranean House Apollonia which is at 6836 Gravois. I love their saganaki and they routinely have really nice lamb dishes.

No comments: