Nov 6, 2013

El Tapatio Review

I recently had dinner at El Tapatio, located at 3279 Hampton in South City. It is near Bayer's Garden Supplies. The location is a former Indian Restaurant and before that may have been a Pizza Hut. The sign bills it as authentic Mexican and certainly the neighborhood as become prolific with all sort of variations of "authentic Mexican". I usually assume that means the owners/cooks are indeed from Mexico but they almost always adapt the food of their home to American tastes.

To start, the menu was quite impressive and didn't feature some well know items but either with different ingredients or a slightly varied presentation. The prices ran from $7.99 on up but there were plenty of options for less than $10. I did notice that a side of  sour cream was 99 cents but it was a generous proportion.

The real deal of the night were the $1.99 margaritas which were billed as lime margaritas and I was expecting an overly sweet, light on tequila drink but instead it was quite tasty and actually much better than a similarly billed margarita I once had in Tijuana Mexico.

I ordered the El Tapatio special, which is a chicken burrito and chicken enchilada topped with lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream and real slices of avocado.  It was very good, though it was hard to tell which was the burrito. The only complaint was that the lettuce was just a tad watery.

My wife ordered the burrito California, which was served stuffed with either chicken or beef and topped with a white cheese sauce. It came with rice. She really enjoyed it and finished every bite.

As I said earlier, the menu was intriguing and I will be back so look for more updates.

No comments: